Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Meeting Expectations

Sunday the meditation group Ive been attending had an impromptu meeting on revising how we give meditation instruction.

I can be impatient at meetings. I get frustrated because it often feels to me that people are far more generous with their opinions and ideas as to how things should be done than they are with the time and energy it would take to make those ideas a reality.

This phenomenon isnt exclusive to the meditation group. The world seems filled with those who--whether the subject is the outside world or their inner lives--would choose talking about the mess for thirty minutes over cleaning for three. As a quieter person, I find it baffling, and yet enough people do it that I sometimes feel as though maybe Im the crazy one.

That’s what I tell myself, anyways.

In this specific case, Im also annoyed at the meditation groups steadfast refusal to quit their jibber-jabber, read my mind, and then do what I want them to do the way I want them to do it.

This isnt something Im going to have to worry about much longer.

Ive bought my bus ticket west; Im leaving for the priory in just under a month. Ive been helping with meditation instruction for six years, but the next session or the one after that will probably be my last.

Meanwhile, the group is going ahead and working out new ideas for doing instruction. Dont they realize Im going away? Havent they noticed that Im feeling guilty about leaving and wondering how instruction is going to go without my being there to help? Here I am, renouncing the world to save all beings, moving to a cabin in the mountains to Not Have Sex and be eaten by mosquitoes and theyre just going to keep going on and be fine.

Unbelievable.

 Can you believe theyre abandoning me like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment